Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Be Mine

Alas, it is February 14 again, which means the stores are filled with heart shaped boxes of chocolate, discounts on perfume, exorbitant prices on flowers, and those "last minute" gifts for the husbands that forgot what today is.  Valentines Day, much like Christmas, has been over commercialized and has forced men to run to buy those heart shaped pendants, rings, or earrings for their significant others.  Why is it that we need a national holiday to be forced to remind those we love how much we mean to them?  Thank goodness, I am married to a fantastic man who reminds me every day how much he loves me, and doesn't need a date on a calendar to do so.
 
I, for one, am not into jewelry or expensive gifts -- and I think an anniversary is much more to celebrate than a day that everyone else shares.  I would rather my husband rub my feet while watching TV than bring me some piece of jewelry that 20,000 other women will have.  Thankfully, I have a thoughtful husband who will make me French Toast on a Sunday morning, complete with a glass of Grapefruit juice because he knows it's my favorite - and not because he is forced to compete with the other men on the planet trying to prove their love. 
 
The best Valentine's Day we've had, though, was our first one.  We were broke, engaged, and as completely head over heels for each other as we are now.  Patrick's mom was either out of town, or working, I can't remember, so we had the whole house to ourselves.  Patrick made me a wonderful dinner, and he made a picinic in front of the fireplace.  He brought melted chocolate, whip cream and strawberries for us to "snack" on for dessert.  Of course, this was all supposed to be romantic, but romance was taken over by laughter as we turned the dessert into the chance to have a whip cream and chocolate fight.  We were covered from head to toe and enjoyed every moment of it. 
 
Tonight, we will get our portaits taken for the church directory, and then we will go out to a nice dinner - not because we have to, but because we want to, not because Patrick wants to impress me, but because we both love food so much!  The best thing about this Valentine's Day is that, 6 years later, my husband still gives me butterflies when he looks at me, I still want to spend all of my free time with him, I can't get enough of him and him of me, and that he's the best thing that ever happened to me.  That, to me, is the kind of gift money can't buy, and it's the best gift of all.

No comments: