Monday, June 04, 2007

Teething Bites

I once saw a bib in Babies R Us that read that very statement.

I was pleasantly plump and pregnant at the time, took one glance, laughed, and walked away. I never knew that the silly statement on that bib would become the title of my life as it currently stands.

Brady is now cutting his 6th tooth, which is also known as tooth number 4 in three weeks. He does not seem to be handling these teeth as well as the others and his usual laughter and babbling has been replaced with incessant whining and humming. According to my mother, who has been through this three times, the humming vibration helps his gums. This is quite possibly the only thing that helps him right now because Tylenol, teething tablets, cold washcloths, frozen toys, and Orajel don't seem to be doing a damn thing.

He is currently refusing to nap, most likely because the pain in his gums keeps him from peaceful sleep during the day. I should be careful not to complain, because he does still sleep his regular 12 hours at night, so at least we have been good there. For the last 10 days, he has taken nothing but 30 - 40 minute naps, which means when he goes down I must rush to shower and dress before he wakes up -- or stuff my lunch in my mouth and throw a load of laundry in before he wants out of his crib.

I am beginning to think that I am being punished for something I did as a teenager. It would make perfect sense - payback for the crap I did to my parents is having a 6 month old teethe constantly for a month straight, right. What I can't figure out yet is whether or not this is payback for one certain thing I did, or my teen years as a whole. I'm hoping it's cumulative payback because if it's for only one thing, I hate to see what my other paybacks are going to be.

In some better news, Patrick finally made 2nd Class Petty Officer on Friday and I was there to pin his "crows" on. The best part of that whole thing is MO' MONEY! :) Also, my very own pat on the back is that I am now back in my size 6 jeans and I am SUPER happy. It only took 6 months...sheesh.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Leah! My mom, the dental hygienist, says that you should try giving Brady popsicles. But she also said, "Wow! He's a bit ahead of schedule," when I told her that Brady is on his 6th tooth and is only 6 months old. She said some people use Jack Daniels on the baby's gums, but she thinks that really only helps if the mother takes it! Hahaha.... She said to tell you that you usually get a break after the front 8 teeth are in, if that gives you anything to look forward to!