Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Exception

We have embarked on a new phase of parenthood recently. Brady, who is 10 months on Monday, has been mobile for 2.5 months and just last week he took his first steps. He is getting more ambitious with every day. He sees something and he tries to walk to it, usually only a step or two, but he is learning very quickly that he must step OUT as opposed to forward in order to keep his balance. The kid will be off and running in a matter of weeks and I will have even less rest than I do now, not that I mind.

Along with the ability to move comes curiosity and getting into everything. We have started to "discipline" Brady even though he doesn't really have the capacity to retain what we've told him. We figure that it's better to keep ourselves in line with what the rules are so that as he ages he can learn easily and we don't have to struggle to break bad habits. None of our rules are harsh, we just don't want him standing up in the tub, pulling on the blinds or banging on glass with toys. Typical boundaries, we think.

From reading endless "Mommy Message Boards", I have learned that Patrick and I are the exception in our parenting style which I think will prove difficult especially in later years. Unlike other babies his age, Brady doesn't have a "favorite show" to base his first birthday party theme on because we never have the TV on for him. Sure, we'll watch the news or keep an eye on the game, but we don't sit Brady in front of the TV to mesmerize him because we feel it's OUR job to teach him. He is perfectly content playing with his own toys or getting into the plastic bowls in the kitchen. He would much rather be outside watching the planes fly by than sitting in front of a TV show for entertainment. The "rule" seems to be that most parents let their 10 month olds sit in front of the TV for hours on end while they do other "important" things...although I'm not sure what could be more important than interacting with and teaching your child.

I am SURE that Brady will be interested in TV shows in a few years, and I am SURE that Patrick and I will have restrictions on the amount of time he watches them. I don't mean to profess that Brady will never watch TV, we just don't think that there's anything he could learn from "The Backyardigans" (what?) or Barney that we couldn't teach him better at this age.

I have a feeling that Brady will one day want to know why he isn't allowed to eat McDonald's four times a week, or play video games all day, but I hope that with our being involved in his life he will never feel like he is being "left out" of anything. My child is my most important job and I feel if that makes me the exception, than that's okay by me.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

You know I feel the same way. Brady can come play with Bella because well she wont be watching TV at 3 months or eating big mac's at 2 either... Seems odd that we're the exception though...i guess when you have an instant babysitter it is easy to just forget your kid is your responsibility:)
You're a good mom!!!Brady is a lucky little boy!!
Jenny

Maria said...

Leah! It is SO refreshing to hear parents say this! My absolute biggest pet peeve when I was working at Comcast was when the cable would go out and parents would say, "What am I supposed to do with these KIDS??" I'd think, "I dunno, be their PARENTS!" Whatever happened to playing Connect 4 or coloring or taking the kids to the park?? I think there are some cool kids TV shows (Dora for example, my niece and nephew know a TON of words in Spanish because of Dora), but I agree with you that most of that stuff can be taught to kids by their mom & dad. So, Bravo! Leah & Patrick, keep it up and I'm sure that young Brady will grow up to be a fine young man!