Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Lawn Chairs and Wine

Well, we have officially made it to the south. The deep south. Or is it the dirrty south? I'm not quite sure. Mobile, AL is now "home" for the next couple of years, and after the nightmare of a PCS we just went through, we had better be here for the entire time we're scheduled.

We are currently sitting in the new house sans any furniture or belongings. Well, that is unless you count the lawn chairs provided to us by our fantastic new neighbor so that we no longer have to sit on the floor. Our household goods (HHG) will arrive tomorrow after being kept hostage by the military for over a week since we ordered them delivered. I guess "hostage" is a little rough, but I don't know what else to call it when your belongings are in the same city as you are, being kept in a warehouse and you can't get them until SOMEONE else can bring them to you -- leaving you to sleep on a borrowed airmattress, and eat nothing but microwaveable dinners. Lesson #1 - Always do a door to door move so your stuff doesn't have to go into storage. AKA: Don't get orders and have to move less than 4 weeks later, preventing you from househunting before reporting.

The car will SUPPOSEDLY be delivered today, but I am not holding my breath. The company has jerked us around and lied to us for over 2 weeks, and because of those lies our $200 tiny Christmas budget was spent on a brand spankin new uniform so that Patrick could report to work today. (His uniforms are in the car that was to be delivered LAST week.) Lesson #2 - Always bring uniforms in vehicle you drive in. AKA: Don't ever use Dash Auto Movers Network to ship your car.

Mobile is actually a pretty decent place. The people are friendly, everything you need is here, and the weather is actually tolerable right now. We have had 2 thunderstorms since arriving and I knew that was my sign from God that this will be a good place for the next few years. Once our house is in order and I can get back into a routine, Brady and I will be joining playgroups and whatnot.

But for now, I enjoy the echoing of an empty house from my borrowed lawn chairs, and drink my wine from the glasses left behind by the previous tenants. I guess sometimes we have to find the silver lining in the little things, don't we?

No comments: