Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Veins and Vanity...

Seven weeks into this pregnancy and I can count myself pretty lucky so far.  I am only nauseous for a few minutes in the morning, and have only had one "episode" of throwing up.  The only major complaint I have had is the bloating.  Holy cow, talk about not fitting in your clothes.  Sometimes during the day if you catch a glimpse at me, you may think I'm about 5 months along.  Thankfully, with some rest and some good gas pills, I seem to deflate overnight. 
 
One of the other joys of realizing that my body is no longer mine, besides the complete and total fatigue, is the "road map of America" that has popped up on my skin.  Particularly my chest.  Blue veins are prominent, and if you look closely, you may be able to use that area to get you from Tulsa to San Antonio.  Who knew that this was a symptom??
 
Pregnancy is not the time for vanity, but it is a hard thing to overcome.  I have worked long and hard to keep the 50 pounds I lost off my frame, and while I know that I'm not perfect, the weight gain and body changes are a little hard for me to handle.  I can hear "Fat Leah" screaming to get out, saying encouraging things like "Doesn't that plate of cheese fries look incredible??!" or "That Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese is calling our name!".  I thought I had killed her for good, but I know she's in there dying to get out as my ass spreads and my legs get thicker.  She knows what my temptations are (pizza, garlic bread, fries, hot dogs, etc) and she is not afraid to use them.  I refuse to be the kind of pregnant woman who divulges into every want and uses this time to eat what she pleases.  I KNOW how hard it is to get that weight off, and I can't do that to myself again.
 
My clothes are already fitting a little tighter than usual.  My snug size 4 jeans have been tossed aside to prevent further bloating, and I'm comfortably in my 6's for the time being.  The 4's just seem to make me swell up faster, thanks to their hugging my every curve.  I'm all about comfort right now, and am living in my elastic waistband shorts, skirts and pants.  Oversized t-shirts are my best friends.  I'm not ready to purchase any maternity clothes yet, so if I can wear it and be comfortable, it's still being worn.
 
This is such a wonderful time in our lives, and I am enjoying every minute I possibly can.  I am pretty irritable, and watching Nick Lachey on MTV the other day made me cry, but this is one of the most exciting things I will ever experience as a woman.  I am so blessed to have this opportunity, especially after all the years we worried that it may never happen.
 
Ultrasound coming up on May 4th! 
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When Ryan's sister in law was pregnant, she was pretty self conscious too. She's never had acne but as soon as she got pregnant, she looked like a girl going through puberty! You just gotta laugh at it or you'll cry! Whenever she had cravings, she said "its not ME who wants it, the baby does!". Besides, this won't be 50lbs of fat you're carrying around, it's 50lbs of a growing person! (ew!) I love you so much! Don't worry about the little stuff!