Friday, September 01, 2006

Oh, Ernesto!

I have now lived through my first ever Tropical Storm system – TS Ernesto.  He came across Florida earlier this week as a Depression, and then quickly picked up speed as he got back out into the Atlantic.  The highest the winds got were 70 mph, so he never officially became a Hurricane, but was damn near close.

This morning I woke up early from the sounds of wind and rain, turned on the TV to watch a bit of the coverage, and then decided to jump in the shower.  Just as I was turning on the water, the power went out and came back on.  Then, as fast as it came back on, it was out again – and I was left standing in the dark wondering how I was going to get ready for work with no electricity!  We live in a townhouse, so there are only 4 windows in the whole place, and the bathroom is not one of them.  I had to take a shower by candlelight, which under different circumstances would have been highly romantic, and throw make up on my face as I piled my hair in a bun. 

Driving to work was treacherous, even for a 2.5 mile commute.  Power was out EVERYWHERE but work…wouldn’t you know it.  We sat here all day as the wind whipped the leaves around, bent the trees, and shook the building.  40 mph winds with 60 mph gusts were nothing to laugh at.  The rain came down in buckets – and I can honestly say that I cannot remember ever seeing so much in one day in my life. 

The majority of the storm has now passed us, and they are finally letting us out of work a little early so we can go home and survey the damage.  I’m sure the next week will be full of calls here at work, but as my boss said yesterday “This is what we do in our business”.  I’m just glad we don’t have any trees on our house!

No comments: