Friday, October 07, 2005

Bring on the stress..

I am going to need to buy a case of Pepto and carry a bottle around with me constantly. Patrick and I decided that we are going to buy a house. We aren't the first people to buy a house, and we won't be the last, but holy cow...this is stressful. We have been preapproved for a mortgage and found out our credit has VASTLY improved over the last few years, which was a huge relief. We will not be overextending ourselves and relying on my salary to pay the mortgage, so we are going to stay a little cheaper than anticipated. I feel that's good because we can then use my money to make improvements and up the value of whatever we buy. The housing market is so hot down here that homes bought for $80K last year are now selling for $125K this year. We want to get in while the getting is good.

We're sticking with the condo/townhome idea and it seems to be working out well. Patrick has an appointment to see a place today while I'm at work. The sellers didn't want to show last night because they had just sat down for dinner. Understandable, but disappointing. As Sarah pointed out, they knew they'd sell the house in a snap either way so they can relax and turn some people down. 3 of the homes we were going to look at last night already had contracts on them. 1 had just been listed that day, and the other two were the day before.

I don't know how we're supposed to make a concious decision about a place if we can't "think" about it. The problem is if we like it, we gotta put an offer in that day. That's a little stressful to me, but if it will get us out of renting our stupid apartment, we'll make an offer.

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Maria said...

Good luck with your first endeavor into home ownership!! It'll be stressfull but rewarding too, I'm sure. I think I am going to try to buy a house in the next year and a half or so....

Leah said...

It's proving to be more stressful than anticipated. Everything goes so fast around here, and I want the chance to think about this MAJOR decision. If you think -- you lose in this area. Ugh!