Thursday, March 23, 2006

Digital Slave

The last 72+ hours have changed my life.  How, you ask?  I finally crossed over into the digital world and accepted digital cable with a DVR into my life.  Now, a new slave to the digital world has been born.  I cannot even fathom what my life was like on Sunday before we installed this function into our lives.  Not only do we now have 800 more cable channels, including Oxygen where my favorite "Inhale" yoga program runs, but we also have the ability to record any program we want without searching for a blank tape to record on.  Our collection of tapes labeled "Anything" will soon dwindle away and be out in the trash like the basic cable we used to have. 
 
I realized the full functionality of having a DVR while watching a show on roller coasters.  Patrick happened to be BBQing dinner at the time it was on, and I urged him to come into the room to see this particular ride.  "HURRY!", I said, as if the world was going to end if he missed it.  He made it to the room just as it was over, missing the part I so desperately wanted him to see.  "Shoot!", I said in a huff, thinking how awesome it would have been for him to witness the fury this coaster gave it's riders.  All of the sudden, it was like a light went off in my head, and I swear I heard the "ding" as it came on, just like in the cartoons.  "OH-MY-GOSH...you CAN see it because I can REWIND LIVE TV!!!"  That moment changed my life forever.
 
Now I can record my favorite fitness programs and do them in the morning before work, thus eliminating the need to travel to the gym and fight for a cardio machine.  We can record weekly shows while we're out and about, and come back to watch them whenever we please.  We can rewind "time" and then fast forward through the mind numbing commercials that plague our favorite shows. 
 
How in the world did I ever live without this thing?  It's the "Cell Phone Effect", as I like to call it.  New things are brought into your lives and after a while you wonder how it was you ever managed your crazy life without them.  Computers, Cell Phones, Palm Pilots, iPods, and DVRs, what was your life like without them?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Leah! Iant it great? Ryan's sister (she lives 2 floors up) has it! The best is FF through commercials!

Maria said...

Hahaha, man, you are too funny! As someone who works for a cable company I may share your story with people on the phone as I try to convince them that, Yes! It is truly amazing when you can PAUSE LIVE TV if you have to get up and pee!!! Hahahahahaha.... What cable company do you guys have there?