Thursday, September 08, 2005

Life Changes...

This week, I've had the opportunity to sit by myself and reflect on my life a little bit. While on the phone with Tanya the other night, I actually listened to the words...no, EXCUSES...coming out of my mouth as to why I haven't finished my Bachelor's yet. The next day, I dragged myself into work to do a job I don't like. It was then that I realized I didn't *have* to have a job that I have to drag myself to. If I took control of my life, went and got my degree and did something I enjoyed, I would be happier all the way around.

I am ashamed to say that I wasted 2 years in college, trying too hard to be a girlfriend and not a student. No one is to blame but myself. And now, eight years after I started my first college class, I'm ready to be the student I never was.

I will be attending Thomas Nelson Community College to "fix" my mistakes at Eastern and will then transfer to Christoper Newport University next fall to get a degree in Social Work. I know in my heart that this is my calling, and I believe that this what God intended for me to be doing with my life. It will be a long road ahead of full time work and part time school, but I have a supportive husband who will do anything to help me get to where I want to be. Without him, I don't know where I'd be right now.

I have to turn all of my Michigan ties over to Virginia, including my license, in order to get the In State tuition (savings of $160 per credit hour alone at the community college)...but I will always be a Michigander, and never a Southerner! I have appointments with college admissions people to make sure I do this effeciently, and not take the long road! Soon, I will be a student again.

I feel a great weight lifted from my shoulders. I've always been ashamed that I never finished my degree, and I don't have to feel that way anymore. And now that I've put it out there for others to read...there's no going back on it.

No comments: