Monday, August 01, 2005

The Dating Game...

So, Mom went on a date yesterday. She was introduced to "Boring Man" by friends of hers. I call him "Boring Man" because that's what he is, apparently. I have taken to only referring to her dates by title and not names, and it's become quite funny. There was "I Lied About Being Married Man", and "Way Too Much Baggage Man", oh, and who can forget "Lumberjack Cat Man" - the man who worked at the lumber store and had 6 cats. Seriously. Sometimes I don't know where she meets these people.

When she was introduced to "Boring Man", she already decided that it wasn't going to work. He asked her out and she reluctantly said yes. I begged her to just give the man a chance before she wrote him off. During their date, he talked endlessly about the things he wanted to talk about, only asking about her life once or twice. When she saw a Coast Guard station she eagerly said "My Son-in-law is in the Coast Guard!", obviously thinking this might strike up some conversation about her life, to which he replied "Oh, nice".

She said he asked her out again and she could hear me screaming in her head to "give him a chance", so she said yes, reluctantly. She has managed to totally misconstrue my advice in this situation. Her time is precious and she has very little of it, considering she works 3 jobs, she doesn't need to waste her time on men that don't do anything for her.

I told her that I want her to marry Mike from work. Mike is a lawyer and he basically runs the court she works at. He has been around our family for many years and is the most kind, wonderful, thoughtful man. He's a true gentleman. However, Mike is married. He's been miserable for years, and his wife is pretty much an ogre, but that doesn't make him any less married. So, I will pray that Mike comes to his senses, divorces that wife of his, and marries my Mom. Hey, a girl can dream, right?

After listening to my Mom's dating disasters, it makes me even more thankful to be so happily married. You couldn't PAY me enough money to be trying to date at this point in my life. It's very rough out there, but I know that some day she'll find a man who makes her almost as happy as my Daddy did.

No comments: