Thursday, July 07, 2005

Still going...

August 26th will be our 5th anniversary. 5 YEARS! It's so hard to believe that it's been almost 5 years since we got married. Whenever we say it we giggle like little kids. How amazing is it to be married to your best friend and be two of the happiest people around? I wake up everyday of my life and thank God that I have Patrick. We have come a long way since our wedding day, but I wouldn't give any of it up or take any of it back for the world.

One day, I was talking to Patrick at work and he said "I miss you" and I said "I miss you, too". Shortly after we hung up, Marti says to me "Aw, when's the last time you saw Patrick?" I said "This morning before work." She replies "Is he not going to be home tonight?" I said "No, he'll be there when I get home." Her mouth dropped open in surprise and said "So, you miss him just because you're not together when you're at work???" - "Well, of course. I miss him whenever we're not together." And she rolls her eyes.

I don't understand why it's so hard to fathom that two people could love each other so much that they truly miss each other when they're not together. We've spent more than half of our marriage apart from each other because of the Coast Guard. And while I'm thankful for the life that we have, it SUCKS to spend that much time alone. Now that we can be together all the time, we're going to cherish it while it lasts (2008 is going to come too fast and who KNOWS where we'll be next).

He is my heart and soul. He is the reason I get up in the morning. He is my best friend. He treats me like a queen even when I don't deserve it.

5 years sometimes seems so short a time.

No comments: